I get a kick out of being around people who are smart in different ways than I am - who have different kinds of interests and ambitions and impacts.
It's invigorating to be around this capacity and learn from these mindsets and skills.
Which means that I'm very lucky - because as an executive coach I work daily with accomplished learners and leaders who like to work as hard as I do.
They keep me constantly aware of how much more is possible.
Many times my work feels like a celebration: of what my clients have learned and achieved and given to others - and how much more they will going forward.
So this Quick Note will be my toast to them and to you:
Here's to the game changers
- the ones who persist in finding a better way
- and engaging others in making it happen.
Here's to the connectors
- who build networks that go up, down, sideways, and diagonally;
- who network to learn new perspectives and make new connections
- and who make sure that they give more than take along the way.
Here's to the long gamers
- who've learned that you can often get what you want - but maybe not quite in the way you thought you would;
- who know that if it's a worthwhile goal you persevere until you make it happen.
- Because living other people's goals doesn't work, but joining forces to meet a common goal does.
Here's to the listeners
- who understand how much more there is to really hear,
- who know how to draw out what others have to offer,
- and who make make time to listen for their own wisdom.
Here's to those that surprise themselves
- with what they realize they've accomplished;
- and then get curious, and then determined
- and ready to find out what they'll learn as they take on their next challenge.
Here's to you!